INVISALIGN VS. SMILE DIRECT
Back in 1997, a company called Align Technology completely overwhelmed the world of orthodontics by introducing an alternative to metal braces.
- This new product was called Invisalign, and it was capable of straightening teeth without using the traditional metal brackets and wires.
- Since that time, a number of other companies have also introduced their own version of clear aligners. Many of these are direct competitors to Invisalign and have their own benefits and features.
Interestingly, the same company which developed Invisalign has now created a system of mail order aligners, which has become known as the Smile Direct Club.
- In effect, belonging to this club allows you to have a do-it-yourself option for straightening your teeth.
- One of the big differences between Invisalign and Smile Direct is that there are no visits necessary to an orthodontist when using the Smile Direct approach.
The Invisalign system calls for mapping out an entire series of aligners that are to be used in succession.
- This will accomplish a gradual repositioning of teeth over a period of months, after which the ultimate goal should theoretically be achieved.
- These alignment trays work very well on mild-to-moderate issues, such as overcrowding, gapped teeth, and teeth that are mildly crooked.
- More severe issues may require the use of metal braces.
A majority of patients prefer to use clear plastic aligners because they’re less obtrusive and less visible than metal braces.
- They’re also removable so that you can eat more comfortably and keep your plastic aligners brushed and flossed.
- The Smile Direct Club also offers aligner trays for repositioning your teeth, however, the program is not administered by dentists or orthodontists.
Instead the system requires the use of remote teledentistry. While there are dentists and orthodontists working at the Smile Direct headquarters, most patients never have any direct interaction with them.
Patients are required to observe their own progress throughout the program of treatment and are also responsible for creating their own molds.
Dr. Sejal Kamat is a Certified Invisalign® Provider.
CLEAR ALIGNERS IN OCOEE, FL
The question of whether you should use Invisalign or Smile Direct will depend on how comfortable you are with having no supervision during your treatment program.
- Any Invisalign program will be administered by the specialists at our Ocoee, FL dental clinic, so your progress can be monitored throughout.
- If you choose to become a member of the Smile Direct Club, you will receive aligners that are similar to Invisalign, but with no professional supervision involved.
Obviously, this leaves open the possibility for a number of negative issues to occur.
The big appeal of the Smile Direct Club is that it costs less than an Invisalign-administered program. The primary reason for this is because there’s no professional supervision involved.
Our dental clinic would therefore recommend that you avail yourself of the Invisalign program so that your progress can be properly monitored by a professional.
If you’d like to have your teeth straightened without the use of metal braces, you should contact our dental clinic in Ocoee, FL.
You’ll have several options available to you, including the well-known Invisalign retainers.These clear plastic aligners are extremely effective at repositioning teeth so as to improve teeth functionality and to produce a much better smile.
Schedule an initial consultation with us, and you’ll be on your way to having a better smile and healthier teeth.
HOW DOES INVISALIGN® WORK?
Q: Are Smile Direct and Invisalign the same thing?
A: While they may look similar in appearance, these two orthodontic treatments are quite different. The primary difference between the two is that Invisalign uses a system that locks the retainers in place, so they can’t move about in your mouth.
Q: Which system is better?
A: While Smile Direct is fine for making minor teeth repositioning and adjustments, Invisalign is capable of handling more severe re-alignments and corrections.
Q: Is Smile Direct recommended by orthodontists?
A: As a rule, Smile Direct is not recommended by orthodontists. That’s because it’s an online club that sends you mail-order aligners, and these may not be precisely customized to your mouth.
Q: Is Smile Direct more dangerous than Invisalign?
A: One of the problems with belonging to the Smile Direct Club is that there is no overall supervision by an orthodontist. That means it is quite possible for tooth decay or gum irritation to occur, with no professional oversight.
Q: Does Smile Direct work faster than Invisalign?
A: Since Smile Direct is generally only used in cases where less severe misalignment has occurred, it can usually be completed in a shorter period of time.
Q: Can I cancel a Smile Direct Club membership?
A: Yes. All you have to do is call the club and request to speak with a representative.
Q: Why does Invisalign cost more than Smile Direct?
A: Invisalign costs more because it always involves visits to the orthodontist’s office, whereas Smile Direct customers have no such visits involved in their treatment.